Today is a beautiful day...

xXx

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Notes From The Kitchen: Accidental Rainbow Cake


Hello There.

xXx



This was a really fun evening in :) My Beloved and I decided to bake a cake, and my Beloved being involved, it was inevitably going to be 'Rainbow' cake (the cake I won his heart with you might say... )
I call it 'accidental' because it wasn't exactly supposed to turn out how it did, but I'm so glad it ended up in these beautiful pastel shades, rather than the bold, nursery colours we anticipated- it looked so pretty!
The food colourings we bought, we all organic and so didn't contain any artificial colours (which you kind of want!) but because they were so pale the end effect was a really lovely, fairytale-esque affair.

xXx

Accidental Rainbow Cake
serves eight

Ingredients
4 ounces (I'm sorry I'm very old fashioned) self-raising flour
4 ounces caster sugar
4 ounces butter or margarine (plus a little extra for greasing the baking tins)
4 medium eggs
4 food colourings off your choice
a few drops of vanilla extract
strawberry jam
vanilla frosting*
pink glacee icing**

* we gave in to the temptation that is the Betty Crocker's ready made variety but you can find out how to make you own at Simply Scratch.
** Also ready made, but here's how to make your own, courtesy of Yellow Saffron

Method
Make four separate 1 ounce sponge cake mixes:
cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, whisk in the egg and then sieve in the flour.

Add a few drops of the vanilla extract and of the colouring to each mix, colouring each one different, or however you fancy, and mix it in well.

Grease four, 7 inch (again, terribly and unforgivably old-fashioned!) sponge tins, line with grease-proof paper and pour the mixtures into each separate tin.

Bake at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly golden on top.

Leave to cool a little then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. Then sandwich the separate layers together with the jam to create the whole cake.

Cover in frosting and decorate with glacee icing.
Yum!

xXx

Have you ever had an accidental runaway culinary success?

Also, some exciting news- I've decided to go ahead and offer you girlies a giveaway! It will be my first one, so bear with me, but I'm very excited about it. So watch this space!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey ho folkies, nice to hear from ya ;) If you'd like a reply don't forget the check the 'notify me' box :)
x